I haven't discussed it much, but for the past few months I have been a bit under the weather with a (hopefully temporary) condition which sees my stomach fail to process food as it should. Essentially I am a walking pile of undigested food. Delightful. Due to my near constant nausea, I have had a real penchant for simple, simple food. Think chips. Think rice. Think potatoes in all their gloriously plain forms.
This has presented a problem at times, given that I upload food photos almost daily on my Instagram. I realise that my followers may not want to see a bowl of oven chips or plain rice, erryday. Not that photogenic. Not that great.
Therein lay my decision to create fancy (but not too fancy) oven chips. Instagrammable versions of my plain favourites, if you will. And while my first attempt naively involved rolling my potatoes in uncooked instant polenta (the sand consistency was not exactly all I had dreamt of) these ones are the perfect union of cheese and potato. Are there better things in life than cheese and potatoes? Doubtful.
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into chunky chips
1/4 cup instant polenta
1 cup boiling water
heaped 1/4 cup (insert coy face) parmesan, freshly grated
generous pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (snore)
2. In a small saucepan, mix the polenta, sea salt and boiling water over a medium heat.
3. When the polenta starts to thicken and is completely assimilated, add the parmesan and continue to mix until there are no visible parmesan bits, and the mixture has started to become a bit cheese stringy (drool)
4. Let the polenta mix cool for a bit (this is when I peeled and chopped my 'po-tay-toes' (any LOTR fans out there?)
5. Dip the chips generously in the polenta mix, and make sure they are coated on both sides. Assemble them on a lined baking tray and make sure they aren't touching. I used two trays for this quantity.
6. Cook the chips for 40 minutes, without turning them. At 40 minutes, take them out and turn them over. If you turn them any earlier, the polenta crust can peel off and that just defeats every single purpose.
7. Pop the turned chips back in the oven for a final twenty minutes. Sprinkle with salt, sit on the couch, and scoff.